All of us have water heaters, but most of us don’t think about our water heater until we have a problem. Below we have listed some things to consider if you are looking to either maintain or replace your water heater.
Maintaining Your Water Heater
All of us take our water heater for granted until we have to take a cold shower. To extend the life of your water heater you should perform regular maintenance throughout the year. Most of the tasks are easy. Below we have listed some DIY tasks you can perform to extend the life of your water heater.
- Lower the temperature: Look at the tank's thermostat, if it is set to the default 140 degrees, lower it to 120 degrees. This is a one-time task that will help with your utility bill and prevent your unit from overheating.
- Test your T & P valve: The valve on top of your unit helps relieve pressure in the event there is too much built-up. To test the valve lift it up and let it snap back in place. You should hear gurgling water. If the valve fails to snap back or you do not hear gurgling have it replaced.
- Do a flush: To remove sediment from the bottom of your water heater tank and to help your heating efficiency you should drain several gallons from your tank.
Replacing Your Water Heater
If you start to notice issues with your water heater, especially if it is old that should be a good indicator that you should have it replaced. As of April, 16th 2015 there were new energy efficiency standards that went into effect. So what does this mean and how will these new standards affect you?
- Unit Cost/Installation Cost Increases: New technology is always more expensive, but it will provide you with more heating efficiency. The cost increase is between 20-40% more than the standard models. This also increases the cost of installation based on equipment size and the complexity of the installation.
- Utility Bills Decrease: With the new energy efficiency standards you will have a decrease in your electric bills. On average you can save up to 16% or more on your electric bills.
No one likes to pay for plumbing repair is new installation services. We completely understand, however, a water heater is a necessity. If you need your water heater repaired or replaced contact Metro Rooter today. We will look at your problem and let you know the best option for you based on your budget and needs. We will always work with you and provide you with honest feedback and the most economical route to take.
Regardless of your plumbing emergency Metro Rooter is the plumbing company Jacksonville residents have trusted for over 30 years. If you need your water heater repaired or are in need of a new one to be installed, contact us today (904) 567-3775. We are available 24/7 for all of your plumbing needs.